Friday 9 August 2013

Penultimate Night


The penultimate night of the first British Pageant of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has come to an end. It was an evening of emotion which began with a cast, choir and crew meeting with Elders Russell M. Nelson, Jeffrey R. Holland and two members of the Seventy. One of the reasons that it was so emotional was that many of the real characters that are portrayed in the pageant are in the ancestry of Elder Holland, who served a mission in his ancestral home as a young man. 

We had a beautiful meeting with them where expressions of love were exchanged. Elder Kieren (sp?) reminded us about the strength we are given to lift others. It made me think about this week and how much of a roller coaster it has been for so many of us. Fatigue and illness and injury and upset: we've had it all. But we've pulled together for support and at the moment we needed the extra strength from the leadership and love of the church, it has been provided amply. 

Elder Evans laughed at the description of our so-called pageant "tent"! He explained to us that in the church leadership the pageant falls under both ''missionary" and "priesthood" because its about both extending our message to those who don't know much about the church and increasing the understanding and faith of the families and members. I've seen this pageant fill both of those roles. 

Elder Holland spoke about finding the site for the Preston Temple 22 years ago and telling President Hinckley about the 26 acres. He told President Hinckley "we'll use it!" It now houses a temple, stake centre, missionary training centre, accommodation block and a temporary pageant theatre! Something that really hit me about what he said was in relation to the missionaries coming to England. He talked about how this was a time of trial for the church which was being persecuted and at that time the Prophet Joseph Smith needed support but instead sent his most able men to Britain to gather souls. It was a huge sacrifice but The Lord called them and they, and Joseph, obeyed. In return, they were rewarded by the 65,000 people who joined the church and emigrated. Elder Holland told us, with emotion, "I'm fully prepared to weep through the whole pageant!" 

Elder Nelson told us of his English heritage from Somerset from whence his great-grandparents emigrated to Ephraim, Utah. He spoke about other historical events within the British isles such as the first area conference held outside of the states which was in Manchester in 1971. My dad was there! He expressed confidence that the best part of the history of the British Isles is yet to be. He said that the allegiance to The Lord and missionary work are increasing here and he's seeing that. He left us with a blessing that we would have continued joy! I loved that. He said so much that was incredibly beautiful and sacred, as an apostle of The Lord. 



It's strange to think that we're going home soon and going further from the temple; the very place that these good British people moved heaven and earth for. I love the temple. I love the fact that Ben and I were sealed in this institution of marriage for all eternity. I'm grateful for that blessing in my life which means that whatever happens to us in terms of mortality, we will stand together one day. Marriage teaches us so much. I love my individuality and want my own identity but I am proud that Ben and I form a family unit. He is my only immediate family now, which is weird when we have so many people around us that we love. 

We've learned so much and met so many amazing people here. One of our new little friends asked me today if we would see each other again after tomorrow. Though I couldn't promise that it would happen soon, I told her that I hoped so. And I do. I feel that these relationships developed through pageant will last for much longer than this week. If I don't see these people again for ten years I'll still love them as much as I do now when I do see them. I'll be excited to know where they're at in life and how they are. One of the places I anticipate meeting some of them again in the temple. 

Like the early Saints, we are drawn here. It is here, at The House of God, that our unity is at its peak. Here is where we focus on the most important things and see beyond the constraints of time to a place where we will be able to be unrestrained in our love, energy and time for each other. This is what will last far beyond this week. This is the message of pageant for me: Zion. I want to be there. And if I can't always be in Zion as a physical place, then I want it to be in my heart. Pageant has drawn me nearer to that, through an increased love for my neighbour and Our Maker. 

It's a great performance; but if that's all you saw, think again! Or better still- come back tomorrow!!! Who knows when you'll get the opportunity again?!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!