Tuesday 6 August 2013

Opening night!


I am completely buzzed right now after Blue Cast opening night. Pageant has been such an amazing experience and it has been a learning experience and tonight has been a real reward for the hard work and dedication we have put in so far.

From my perspective, the spirit took hold of the hearts of all of the people who were on that stage. One of the things you quickly realise about this experience is what we are often told "change is the rule" and it is so true. Things change in the schedule, every night up on the stage things change... and hearts change. One thing I'm learning is how to respond and adapt to that change.

I'm the kind of person who likes structure. I like things to be done right. Unfortunately, my definition of the word right is very often to set an unachievable expectation that disappoints me when it isn't met. That is one of the challenges of how my brain works. For example, during the dress rehearsal I felt a bit deflated that there wasn't complete silence backstage. But, tonight, something changed in me. I felt, all of a sudden, that things were being done right to a higher standard than the standard I was using to measure by in my imperfect understanding. As I looked around me and I saw the parents  shepherding four children I didn't hear the noises they were making; I finally heard and saw with my heart the perfection of the consecration of time, effort, energy, money and love. I've always felt the children added a lot of good but I saw the noise as a bit of a compromise. Now, I don't feel that way. The children are beautiful because they add enthusiasm and the spirit and that comes hand in hand with all the noise... Suddenly, it's great that they're noisy sometimes. I know Heavenly Father is so glad they are here.

Feeling those things changed everything for me. Tonight was pure joy. Nothing was half-way. I tasted Zion tonight and it was so delicious. It was exactly what Lehi described in his vision of the tree of life. It was glorious. It was triumphant.

It's always great to have it confirmed when you feel that something that happened was miraculous and incredible. Our confirmation tonight came through the news that we don't have to rehearse tomorrow. We are meeting at 6pm for our pre-pageant fireside. That means I can spend the morning in the temple and doing things that will be of great worth to me. I'm just so excited to go into the House of The Lord and be able to thank Him for the incredible spirit that I've felt tonight. It was an outpouring of love that I've felt before but I don't think it's ever come at a more poignant time for me.

I opened the Book of Mormon on stage earlier and read the following passage which reminded me so much of the early Saints of Britain who we are portraying:

"Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God. Behold, they were in the midst of darkness; nevertheless, their souls were illuminated by the light of the everlasting word; yea, they were encircled about by the bands of death, and the chains of hell, and an everlasting destruction did await them. And now I ask of you, my brethren, were they destroyed? Behold, I say unto you, Nay, they were not. And again I ask, were the bands of death broken, and the chains of hell which encircled them about, were they loosed? I say unto you, Yea, they were loosed, and their souls did expand, and they did sing redeeming love. And I say unto you that they are saved."
I love this gospel. I love the way it changes and forms us as we follow the Saviour more perfectly each day. I'm grateful for the opportunity to share the things I know and love. I'm grateful that He lives and is my daily teacher through the Holy Ghost.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!