Sunday 4 August 2013

No Show

Yesterday was the last pageant experience of the Red Cast which meant that today the Blue Cast rehearsals really got serious. Not that we ever really get too serious. We are all determined to get things right and to do our best but there is no shouting or even criticism to ensure that this is achieved. The tone of all the practices is a tone of love and acceptance. It's ok if it went wrong, we'll do it better next time because we understand it now. 

The spirit is in this work and we all feel it. It edifies people and the holy ghost comforts us. I can see this particularly with the tireless work of the artistic team including the director Alex. I've heard people describe this amazing woman who has really been inspired to be a leader in the work of bringing about the British Pageant as "a machine". Though that has negative connotations it was meant in a completely positive light; what they meant was that they were just in awe of how she manages to never appear to lose her cool. No matter how a run-through has gone she smiles, praises and encourages. I know it's because she is being sustained by the spirit and because the Lord has magnified her own wonderful personality and character traits to allow her to be able to accomplish His work. She often has this 'cape' tied around her neck (for dignity when feeding the baby) - it makes me smile because Alex is literally Superwoman! 



Today has been a really uplifting experience for us all. This evening we have been allowed to enjoy our Sabbath with no rehearsals because we've made such great progress and it felt right to do this. 

This pageant is about people. It's about inspiring leaders and also gaining strength from the incredible people who make up the cast, crew and choir of the pageant. We are often reminded that even the most menial tasks people do make such a difference. We are all performers in the "Pageant Experience". As we tidied up the Pageant Theatre this afternoon after the performance last night it made me smile to see that it was mostly members of the core cast who have already been here for two weeks and who are extremely tired who were involved in the pick-up - and with big smiles and even singing. Each person involved in this pageant is here to serve.  


Sometimes we're minded to feel that we have sacrificed a lot to be somewhere or to get involved in something. When I look around here that isn't the attitude I see expressed on smiling faces. Instead of feeling the strain of sacrifice (time, money, holidays!) the people here feel blessed to be able to be involved in this experience. I hope that people coming to see it will feel the same when they go away: that whatever the time, petrol and activities they give up to see the pageant; it was worth it. That was certainly the attitude of the Saints when they left the British Isles to travel to build a temple in Nauvoo - sacrifice is a timeless concept. It is our attitude to sacrifice that determines what comes next. 

All of the participants have come to the British Pageant with a desire to serve and we're already seeing blessings from that. As President Kerr said today: "My shoelaces may be broken and my button may be hanging by a thread; but these are some of the best times." 

This pageant is not a show. If it was just a show, just the sum of all our talents, it wouldn't have the power to influence people the way we see it doing. People wouldn't feel the message of it. This is I am so excited - because I believe that our Heavenly Father is the author of all things that are good. I believe that He is our Almighty God. I believe that the Saviour is a living immortal being who is constantly giving us experiences to help us become better and better. He is My King. I know that He knows me personally. I believe the Pageant Experience will touch countless lives - but the reason I love Jesus Christ so much is that if it only even blessed one single person it would be worth it to Him. 

I Love My Religion!
I Love My Family!
I Love My Country!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!