Sunday 11 August 2013

But If Not...

The first British Pageant of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints had it's final event last night. We performed to an audience of over 2000 people from across the British Isles and beyond. 

I have heard many people who are involved with the experience try and describe it and feel that they are at a loss for words. I felt that I was among an elect group of people during this time. They are no better and no worse than other people; but they gave so much and their enthusiasm, dedication and love for each other and the gospel was "infectious". It didn't give anyone involved a one-way ticket to heaven; but during our time in the pageant it did give us a heavenly experience. I'm glad I was there. 

This was not a group of people who have never experienced sadness. It was not a group devoid of experience of the harshness of the world. The happiness we felt there was due to a belief in the words of the Saviour: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33). 

I had some time today to reflect upon the way we react to trials. I don't want to give the idea that I am belittling any kind of trial that we may have in this life; if it matters to us, it matters to the Lord. Yet, we do have the option of sinking or learning to swim in most cases. I was talking to a dear friend about some of their current trials today and they said something along the lines of:

"Some people are like Daniel. They fall into the lions' den and the Lord shuts the mouths of the Lions. Other people are like Abinadi and the Lord lets them be killed in horrible ways. I know which one I am." 

The implication was that the Lord was going to allow this friend to suffer a horrible death by fire. This assertion led to a train of thought that I found quite negative. It seemed to say, "what's the point? Things have been rubbish and Heavenly Father hasn't decided to save me." Knowing what I know, I told the friend with courage and conviction that Heavenly Father has not abandoned them. I know my friend is loved by Heavenly Father much more than they can comprehend right now during a time of suffering for them. 

It's the age-old question of: "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?", to which there are so many answers I hardly know where to start. Three ideas that come to mind immediately are that Heavenly Father allows men to get things wrong and even cause suffering to each other because otherwise there wouldn't be the option to choose good or bad. Secondly, sometimes the good that comes from the course that is taken after a negative event is of so much benefit in the longer term that He allows short-term suffering because He knows the bigger picture. Finally, He is the Great Judge and will ensure that things come right one day. 

Having confidence in God is sometimes so difficult when we have challenges and crises. I feel like being at pageant has helped me experience the joy of living together in the gospel in the good times; but the vital thing that we talked about right at the end of our time together at pageant was that we take that joy back with us and keep moving forward. The past is unimportant (except that it got us to where we are) but the future is the really vital thing.  


The future is the place in which we make our stand and we can't base our decisions about whether or not we will have faith in God on how kind we perceive that He is to us. 

I will always remember from my seminary days the Old Testament stories of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. When they were condemned to the fires because they would not worship the idols that the King decreed they should bow down to, they made the following statement

"If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thy hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up." 

Their faithfulness and their determination to do the right thing was not determined upon God stretching forth His hand on their behalf. Though they knew He was able to save them, their obedience wasn't conditional upon Him saving them every time. While it is easy to sit here on the wave of joy and spiritual determination that the pageant has given and vow that I will never question and will always be faithful in times of trial, none of us can imagine the things that can come to make us wobble. The friend I was talking to today has legitimate, heart-breaking, undeserved challenges. Abinadi didn't deserve to be burnt to death for teaching the things that Heavenly Father wanted him to teach, never knowing whether anyone listened. What he deserved was eternal joy and the ability to see his work achieve something beautiful in the Kingdom of God. These blessings weren't given him during his mortal life but I believe with a surety that he has received them; and that he now knows that his teaching caused a difference to all the world - because Alma listened and recorded his words as we have them in the Book of Mormon.

There is a story still to be written. That is true at every point of our lives. And we really do determine what happens in the plot because we determine whether we curse god and die or whether we stand with Job and say: "Till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me". 

I feel that this week I have tasted Zion. I have tasted some of the sorrows and many of the joys that the Saints had in the early days of the church. As we drove away from the temple grounds, which have been our home for 10 days, I felt sadness that I can only describe as a small inkling of the feeling that the Saints must have felt to leave the temple they built in Nauvoo to keep travelling west. It must have grieved them so much - but they kept walking with the hope of something ahead that would bring them joy as great as what was left behind. 

There is a brightness ahead in the lives of all of us that we won't reach if we sit on the ground puzzled by the unfairness of being forced to leave something behind. I've learned that through experiences so far in my life and I know I will be taught that lesson time and time again. An often quoted pageant mantra is: "Change is the rule" - life is ever-changing and our determination to meet those changes with an attitude of hope and looking forward is something that will help us immensely when challenges come. 

I know that the Saviour of the world loves us - what more proof do we need than the fact that He laid down His life for us? I know that as we follow Him we will know where to tread even in times of extreme trial. He will bring us peace and understanding as we read our scriptures and commune with Him in prayer. I know that He knows me personally and that He gives to me according to my needs with His deeper understanding of what those needs are. I know that when we serve each other, we serve him. 

All our experiences will ultimately work for our good. Whatever trials life brings, I hope I remember that so I can help others to feel the truth of it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!