Thursday 8 August 2013

The British Pageant - The Apostle's Arrival



We have had yet another great experience here at the British Pageant. We have known for a while that we were going to have some "special" visitors, but until it happens, it's all a bit unreal.

Today, we had the pleasure of being joined by Elder Russell M. Ballard - one of our Apostles. I have spoken about how being up here is great and that there is a buzz going around, but prior to the arrival of an apostle it ramps up a bit. The rumours that go around, prior to this visit made me laugh such as other church authorities "sneaking in" to watch us (they didn't, by the way!) - it reminds me of Braveheart when the people talk about William Wallace being 8 feet tall and able to take on whole armies on his own!

This time though, it was for real. We began our day by going through the Preston Temple, which as ever was a great way to start any day, then had a fireside scheduled in the afternoon where we were to meet Elder Ballard. We all got ready and in he walked. I am always struck by the fact that the leaders of our church are just men, yet they hold a large responsibility. We love them as people and we revere the call they have as Apostles, yet it is always great to see them in the flesh to remind us that the Lord qualifies the people he calls.

Elder Ballard got up and shared some remarks with us about his connections to the British Isles, including the story of how his family came to find this gospel. It is a great story and I would urge you all to read about it - his great-great-grandfather emigrated from England to America join with the saints and all of his children bar one disowned their parents. The one child who traveled with them ended up having two apostles (M. Russell Ballard and Melvin J. Ballard) in his direct lineage!

Elder Ballard was also a missionary in the British Mission in 1948 and he shared that he "never come[s] to this island without reverence and respect [for those who have gone on before]", which again makes me think about my mission experience in Ireland. I love Ireland and have managed to go there since the mission, and each time I have been I feel a great reverence for that place. I see it as a place where I changed from boy to man - a rite of passage, so to speak - so I always look back on the experience there with a smile, as I'm sure Elder Ballard does when he is able to get back here.

Later on this evening, we had the chance to perform the pageant in front of Elder Ballard and various other general authorities and it was such a good experience. Lately, I have started to tire and although I am putting my all into this still, I felt that my enthusiasm started to wane slightly and the visit of an Apostle could not have been any more timely. As we got ready to perform, I really felt reinvigorated and thought afterwards that it was our best performance yet. It was great to stay on stage after and wave farewell to Elder Ballard and know that everyone in the audience was uplifted by his presence and by the pageant as a whole.

I feel an increased desire to live up to the promises I have made as part of this gospel and I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing it with others through a medium I have never used before. When this pageant rolls around again, which I hope it will, I will definitely be apart of it!

Tomorrow, we have the visit of two more Apostles to write about - can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!