Thursday 2 January 2014

The Curtains Open on a Happy New Year

 It's that time again where we all resolve to be better, feel recharged after a Christmas break and have the inevitable moment of writing the wrong date. Welcome to (2013) 2014!

Life in the institution has been great in 2013 and I'm excited to see what 2014 will bring. There are many events I'm looking forward to this year. The biggest ones are Ben's big three-oh and my graduation. Both of these things are real markers of time passing and so I'm determined to ensure that these precious events don't slip away from us.



 On New Year's Eve we managed a "first" for both of us - the first whole classical ballet performance that we've seen. In that, I'm excluding the ballet that Ben went to with his parents before and ducked out half way through with his cousins. I'm excluding the many amateur performances I've seen my siblings perform in! I've seen and enjoyed some contemporary professional groups (my favourite was the Mark Morris Dance Group performance I saw in Birmingham a few years ago).

We saw "The Nutcracker" at the Royal Opera House on Tuesday. I'd never been in the building before and I can honestly say I've never seen a theatre so beautiful. It was a spectacle in itself just to be inside there!


I knew a little about The Nutcracker as my sister has performed in it with the English Youth Ballet. I must have been busy or maybe lacking enthusiasm because I didn't actually go to see that performance, which is odd as I've been to most of the shows my siblings have been in over the years. All I know was that her part was one of "an arabian". 

Perhaps my favourite thing about the whole performance was the music. We were totally lucky to be so close to the orchestra pit I could almost have reached out and tapped the conductor on the head. The best thing about that was during the Waltz of the Snowflakes when the boys' choral part was sung we could see the group of boys singing. That was wonderful!  


As for the ballet itself, I found the first half completely compelling. It's very characterised and there is an awful lot of miming going on as they tell the story. The miming itself is part of classical ballet that I can either take or leave. It reminds me of "Singing in The Rain" when Kathy Selden says that on the screen in old black and white movies "they don't talk, they don't act - they just make a lot of dumb show!" To me it seems kind of silly. The stage and the costumes and the dances were really lovely, though. 

In the first half it is Christmas at Clara's family home and lots of things are going on, including a visit from a magical toy-maker who gives Clara a Nutcracker doll that her brother manages to drop. When Clara comes downstairs to find it at midnight all of the toys come to life and she's attacked by rats and defended by toy soldiers, including the Nutcracker himself. She rides off to a magical kingdom in the snow with him, and that's where the first act ends. 

The second act is all in the Sugar Plum Fairy's realm and consists of various dances representing different parts of the world. It's really pretty and the music is great. As the story isn't progressing, though, I did feel like there were a few moments where I was doing a bit of a seat-shuffle, probably distracting the well-dressed people around me. My favourite part of the second act was the Flower Waltz

Overall I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it and even more surprised that Ben enjoyed it. I know it makes us sound so uncouth to even suggest that we might not have enjoyed something that was such a cultural feast. I don't think either of us are full converts to Classical Ballet, but it was a good experience. 

Later that evening we saw in the New Year with some of our dearest friends: 


It's been a great few weeks in which I have to say I've enjoyed relaxing and spending time with family and friends. 

I made a photo-book (totally recommend photobox - they have 70% off right now) this Christmas of Our First Year in the Institution. Looking over it reminded me of the many great experiences of the past year and all of the fun we have ahead. 

I'm not sure about making New Year's Resolutions but I'm grateful for the chance to reflect on the year to come. I think, as human beings, we need that reminder, and the wake-up call that we get, to let us think about the time that has passed and how we make every second count a little bit more. 

Here are my things to focus on this year, call them what you will: 
  • I want to keep exercising and aim to lose 5kg this year, then maintain that weight. 
  • I want to get my MBChB this year! 
  • I want to be a brilliant wife this year - including planning a great 30th for Ben. 
Those things are my major focus - "the big stones" - but I am excited for all the moments that come unanticipated, with friends and family. 

I'd love to know what you're all resolving to do this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!