Monday 30 December 2013

(K.I.S.S) Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I feel like Christmas this year has been simply wonderful and wonderfully simple. We've spent time with friends and family, played games, given and received and felt the spirit of memory building.

We have managed to get to a few different places in the last month. One of them was Lincoln which boasts one of the most stunning cathedrals in England (and therefore, the world!). I love to visit churches and cathedrals - they make a real impression on me as I try to imagine the people who built them with religious fervour.

It's the simple things that really add wonder. I've long been a fan of black and white movies and it is usually the simple but intriguing story lines, the total lack of special effects and the reliance on interesting dialogue that amuses me.

Another simple thing I love is going for walks. England is such a beautifully green (and as you will see from the mud on the pictures, brown) country.
Here we were on Christmas Eve walking around Kedleston Hall . Fans of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice may recognise it!

We tend to over-complicate life, just because we can. Like the times when we try and be over-inventive with Christmas presents rather than going for something solid that we know will be appreciated such as someone's favourite chocolate. I'm definitely someone who can confess to being guilty of this. I like to seem savvy and smart when in reality it's more important to try and make someone happy, no matter how simple it might seem.

I like truth to be simple, too. I studied Philosophy and Ethics at A Level and enjoyed considering these different view points but mostly I like the simple explanations. I feel like just because I have a brain and the power of reflecting on ridiculously complicated aspects of philosophy doesn't mean that I should. In fact, it bothers me to focus on the complex when in reality, I haven't learned the simple lessons perfectly yet!

One thing I've loved receiving this Christmas is the book "Bonds that Make us Free". It's a book about relationships with others and how we improve them. To me, that is the ultimate key to life and happiness. If I learn nothing else, achieving better communication and feelings for others would be hugely beneficial. Sometimes it's these things that are shrouded by very little mystery that are actually far trickier than the essays you could write on 'whether Adam had a belly button'.

They also mean a lot more. It's been a joy to spend Christmas with these people and others from our extended family. 2013 brought me a new brother-in-law. It's been great to see a new addition to our family and especially to see the joy that has brought. People are wonderful and it's fun to develop understanding and love for all the different personalities that surround us.

Roll on 2014!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!