Tuesday 3 December 2013

Borrowers

It is the festive season and I'm starting to get jolly. Blogs will certainly reflect that.

I was actually writing a blog about our visit to the Warner Brothers Studios - and I'm going to carry on writing that at some point. However, there is a subject that has grabbed my attention and is of a more serious nature so I wanted to write about this now so I can post amusing nothings closer to Christmas.

The Headline that made me think was this one:


With Christmas approaching, I wonder how many people will be borrowing money to fill the stockings of people they love with things that they probably don't really need. 

As a nation, we have a habit of buying things that we can't afford. 

Now, I'm not really talking about mortgages or student finances - though if you decide to take on such debt I do think you should have a plan of how you will pay it back - I'm talking about the accumulation of 'stuff'. It kind of irks me to think that to keep up with the latest in technology and fashions people would flash their plastic without ever thinking about the fact that in doing so they are spending money that they don't have. 

If they can't afford it now but simply cannot wait to purchase something that seems pretty worrying to me. I have a lot of sympathy for people who are struggling financially and being dragged under because life just seems to keep costing more and more - people for whom a roof over their head and food on the table is just about all they can manage. I can't, however, understand why you'd be in that position and then decide to add to your burden an unsuitably expensive mobile phone contract or a new car. 

Borrowers used to refer to the fictional "little people" who borrowed from the big people in order to survive. I would suggest that too many of us have joined them in the walls and floors and instead of helping us to survive, borrowing from the big people is going to lead to them calling in pest control and exterminating us! 

Ten Ideas to Help You Stay Afloat Financially (by super-wise people)

1) We all occasionally fall into trap of trying to "keep up with the Joneses". Our neighbour has a (very loud) Ferrari and I know how easy it is to aim to have what other people have rather than to be content. Which leads me on to.... 

 2) Be grateful for what you have. Like... the roof over your head (no matter what shape or size), family and friends, your access to communication... once you start looking at all the great things in your life, you'll stop wanting so many material things.

3) There seems to be an attitude that accompanies spending too much money - especially spending 'plastic' money. That attitude is one of entitlement - I'm having it because I can. Working and saving for something you want is becoming an idea that is foreign when there are all sorts of cash-borrowing schemes around. I really do think that as we work hard we appreciate what we have and we also make ourselves financially better off and more self-reliant. Work creates in us a sense of self-esteem. It's important to learn to work hard! 

4)  Serve other people. Be kind to people. Find those who are worse off than you whether financially or because they're lonely or unwell and help them. This is another of those things that place our consumerist lusts into perspective. 

5) This one might not be easy to do! However, it's useful advice and most of the time it is possible - even if it's only £10 a month. Rainy day cash is so vital! 

6) What if we're already in debt? Surely if I'm a significant amount down it's not going to hurt me to buy a sandwich on the road rather than taking lunch with  me, right? ;) Deal with the debt first by living frugally for a while. Then you can budget properly and you might even be able to factor in that little extra thing that you like as a treat! 

7) Get out of debt! Then, stay out! 

8) Financial storms come. You might have one of those months where the car, washing machine, television and every bulb in the house decides that it's more fun to play up. You might have difficulties with loss of employment. Prepare for the worst, work for the best. 

9) I love this quote. It emphasises the importance of staying out of debt. When we are able to provide for the things we need and not reliant on anyone else, we have freedom. Otherwise... we're going to get squished by the Big People. 

10) Finally, share. Share the burden of finances including decisions about the daily incomings and outgoings. Life is easier, more rewarding and healthier this way. 

That's everything for now, folks! 
Hope this gets you thinking and talking. 

I'd love to hear your comments and advice too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!