Wednesday 29 April 2015

The Body Shop

I've run 25 kilometers this week. I intend to run more. I've attended an exercise class today and am attending another tomorrow. Before you think I've actually lost my mind and am on some kind of guilt-ridden body-hating exercise-binge, I must confess that I'm currently sitting on the sofa munching Reese's Pieces. Hopefully that's shattered any image you have of me morphing into some kind of rabbit-food munching gym-bunny. 

Recently I heard on the radio that "you can't outrun a bad diet". Eating what you want (e.g. chocolate and peanut butter) and burning off the calories is still not good for you. Plus, let's face it, you're probably just not going to bother. 

Weight loss is important - it'll help you to stay healthy longer. Blah blah blah. It's just, staying healthy for longer doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to exercise when you're young and things are going okay and you feel like a heart-attack is several lifetimes away. Let's face it, most of us are better with the here and now. 

I sat in on a few clinics this week and last week at work and several of the patients who were seen were advised that losing a bit of weight may significantly affect their health. In some cases, the risk was an increased chance of pregnancy-related problems; in other cases it was women's health issues that were likely to improve with weight loss. Of the women who were approached about this subject, the majority were really offended. Which I found a bit weird. I mean, they were sitting in front of a doctor and doctors are supposed to advise them about health. Obesity is irrefutably unhealthy (I just snarfed another handful of Reese's Pieces - oh, the irony!) to the point that there's no argument about it. 

As a lady who could certainly described as "plenty curvy" herself, I have to say that I had a good long look at myself in the mirror when I got home after listening to these women be offended to be told they need to lose a few pounds. Looking at my own pounds I would like to lose, I realised that the strange thing about their offence is that they probably say that to themselves in the mirror everyday which is why it's so hard when that's reflected back at them through a stranger. But, hey, this is not a pity party! 

I have a theory that we would all treat our bodies better, exercise more, even eat better (with the occasional cheeky Reese's) if we would look at our bodies as they really are. 

Even our feet! (It's okay all your foot-phobia people, no pictures of naked feet are contained in this blog). 

 
I didn't start running and exercising to lose weight, and I wouldn't encourage others to do that unless we first all have a change in our mentality. Would we all love to have a little run and drop a dress-size overnight? Of course. But exercise should be about more than just weight. 

I think if we start to consider our bodies by what they can do rather than what they look like, we'll use them for what they're made for and our bodies will become strong and purposeful. 

The aesthetic is so unimportant in the scheme of things - but ironically will probably improve with use! 

When children are growing up we praise the tiniest things they learn to do with their growing bodies. Clapping, waving, hopping, running, skipping... even rolling over. This absolutely wonder over what bodies can do needs to be retained. It's miraculous that our bodies function, even if that functioning itself varies from person to person. 

Over the last few days I've realised that my body can run 6km at 6am in the morning. And I don't even die. My lungs and heart keep up with the requirements for that level of exercise. My feet are capable of taking the steps and pushing me forward. The muscles surrounding my spine support me. My eyes show me the route. My ears provide stimulation through music and warn of danger (unless the music is too loud). 

To my knowledge, I haven't lost any weight at all. But I'm already seeing myself a different way. Aesthetically flawed me has given way to the figure of a woman who CAN. And that is the here and now that is going to get me out of bed, into my running gear and exercising on a morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!