Monday 16 June 2014

Belle

Having finished University on Friday completely (wahoo!) I've come from finding my feet to doing a lot of sitting on my couch. I have a month until graduation and I've been spending some time catching up on guilty-pleasure TV series: Nashville and Once Upon A Time are my favourites of the moment. 

(With Ben I watch the slightly higher-brow West Wing - Ben is doing well, by the way!) 

Once Upon A Time is wonderful nostalgic fairytale nonsense which focuses on fairies, dwarves and the power of true-love's kiss. It's silly and ridiculous and what's not to love? I'm a romantic at heart.

My favourite Disney film has always been "Beauty & The Beast". I love the story and have read the Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont version several times. One of the main reasons I fell in love with it was because Belle was in love with books - and so am I. 

As libraries go, I have to say the new Birmingham library is quite unique: 


While it doesn't have the old-fashioned, traditional, nostalgic feel that I admire (not enough wooden ladders!) it has a real feel of class and education. The exterior is a bit weird. I'm not sure I like it. Yet, the garden on the top floor and the view of Birmingham was impressive. You know, for a view of Birmingham. 

I didn't actually put a picture up of that because I thought people might mock the "loveliness" of a city that I love -grime and all! I don't suppose there will ever be a fairytale written that begins "Once Upon A Time in 21st Century Birmingham...." but I could be wrong. 

Belle from Beauty and the Beast would definitely be impressed by the Birmingham Library, anyway, whether the Beast's was better or not! 

During the spells of sunshine we've been enjoying I've relished the opportunity to take a book and a blanket outside and tan while I read. I've finally finished "Philomena" - it was certainly a book to think about. Next up is "The Hare with Amber Eyes" - and any other recommends are very welcome. 

Reading a book, you fall in love and out of love again and again and again. That's why I love it so much. It's so wonderful to explore other worlds - especially while enjoying the sunshine in my own world! 

Sunny Pictures: 



The End!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!