Saturday 29 March 2014

Mommy

Sometimes in life you meet a person with whom you just 'click'. 
You have tons in common and friendship between you is easy to fall into. 

At other times, it's not so simple. 
Things get in the way. 
It might be distance apart or an age gap or personality differences. 

I imagine that when I was minutes and hours old, though she loved me, my mother couldn't really consider me a friend yet. Fortunately, time has been kind to both of us and though the twenty-four years (flip - I'm 24 now!) between us will always be twenty-four years, I've managed to get through my childhood and trying teenage years with a strong relationship with my mother. 

In fact, it's probably because of those years and those challenges that I love her so much. How can you fail to give credit to someone who has laughed with (and at) you, cried with you and called out words of encouragement along the way? I know it definitely hasn't been easy!

Mothers are heroes, and no mother is ever as heroic as your own. I can honestly say that the closeness Mom & I share is one of my most prized possessions in life. There's nothing like being able to rely on someone to give you a solid opinion, great advice and also correction when needed.

I remember more than one occasion while I was growing up when I was told, "I'm not your friend. I'm your Mother." It was a reminder that she wasn't always going to say what I wanted to hear. And, ironically, it was because of that that my mother is way, way up there with my best friends.

There are a lot of people in life who will say what you want them to say and take the easy road in order to be agreeable. But there are very few people who will see your struggles, tut at your situation then grab an oar and get stuck in to help you find your way out. That is real love. 

So, this Mother's Day, let's celebrate Moms that have the integrity and courage of conviction to say "No" when they know something isn't right for you; Moms that leave you flowers as a pick-me-up; Moms that will never ever give up on you - even when you're not being particularly loveable; Moms that believe in you and do everything to facilitate your success in life. 

I owe an awful lot to my Mom. <3

Happy Mothers' Day!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!