Tuesday 11 February 2014

The Silver Lining

It's not an uncommon phenomenon to occasionally find yourself in the middle of the roadworks and speed bumps on this journey through life. Sometimes those hiccups along the way are so obviously due to something daft you've done that you resign yourself to it, knowing that you're the one who is creating this havoc. In this analogy, maybe you got into the wrong lane and are now trying to cross a line of heavy traffic. Either way, you know you are the maker of your own difficulties. 

Maybe I can describe that situation so well because that is me - all the time - but I'm guessing that I'm probably not the only one. 

Whether it's unfortunate or fortunate I'm not sure, but lately I have felt like most of the attacks going on are external. They have impacted me and I've probably swerved to try and avoid bumps and haven't really made my life any easier. Satan has been having a really good go at jumping into the car and taking hold of the wheel. 

I know that it's great to be honest and get things out there, but forgive me if I don't allow myself to dwell on the problems. I'm not trying to make this into a blog that deceives people into thinking that "Life in the Institution" is always perfect. Life is sad sometimes. 

I'm probably much more eloquent in expressing things on here than I am in real life. I love to write. And one of the reasons for that is because it makes problems go away. Which is why you won't often find me writing miserable things - because in writing them down I find solutions. And solutions are a much more fun thing to share than problems. 

I mentioned Satan trying to jump into the car in my journey through "The Game of Life". Yes, he's certainly been trying, which is definitely a big fat cloud. But, as always, I've had an enormous feeling of spiritual power and comfort when I've asked for help. 

Two ideas popped into my head that have particularly helped me to change my outlook and gain a sense of hope. 

1) To do something nice for someone - which was an amazing reminder from Heavenly Father that by serving other people we get blessings and we do find answers. Serving others makes us feel less selfish. It was a little thing, for me, but the principle underlying it is summed up in this quote: 

"Indeed, those men and women who righteously share themselves, their talents, and their means in benevolent service to God and humankind, are blessed with freedom, growth, nearness to Divinity, and worthiness to have the companionship of the Spirit. By selflessness we demonstrate our true relationship with the Saviour. It is the one great virtue that binds together the family of God." (William R. Bradford) 

2) To write a Family Mission Statement

Now, when I had this idea I wasn't really sure that such a thing existed. Maybe I've vaguely been aware of them, but I'd never really thought about writing one. My idea was that Ben & I sit down alone and write down our priorities in life: things without which our life would be less meaningful and rich. Then we would share those ideas and collectively agree on the ones that our family should treasure as our specific values. 

I loved reading the statements that came up when I later stumbled across the same idea online. They were precious and different, even if many of the ideals were the same. Below is a draft version of our McKee Family Mission Statement.  

I felt a bit lost this week, but writing this and thinking about these things has given me a focus. It's also given me a lot of hope. Sometimes we forget why we got married and what we share in common can get lost under the mountain of jobs and ironing and fatigue (and that's even without kids - you mothers and fathers inspire me!). 

Writing a Family Mission Statement helped us to realise that what we want ultimately is the same even if sometimes we don't agree on the best way to get there. I would recommend it thoroughly. 

These are positive statements. We're not perfect in these things yet. However, when we've created our final version, I hope to display this in our home. It's a reminder of what we are aiming for together, and a great way of evaluating whether we're on the path to having the family and home that we really want. 

It's the silver lining to each cloud that will come our way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!