Monday 17 June 2013

Fathers, Finch and (twenty)-Firsts

Lately I have had so much free time that I usually would be going completely stir crazy. Fortunately, in my family, that's not an option: there always seems to be something that comes up that creates ample "things to do" and projects to work on. Plus, there's the fact that my brother knows everything under the sun about the theatre and consequently frequently mentions things that sound unbelievably exciting. 

This week, as a result of a conversation with Jonathan when we went to see "Ghost: The Musical" last week, I managed to get myself a ticket to see "To Kill A Mockingbird" at the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park, London. Rarely, if ever, have I been so excited to see a show so much! There were several reasons for this. 

Firstly, I adore the story of  "To Kill A Mockingbird". There's something about some books that just leaves a lasting memory with you of everything you felt about it when you first read it. The intrigue of the story has never been lost for me and, unlike other books, I could probably tell you the whole story-line from start to finish without even pausing to think. 

Secondly, I believe in it. I believe in the characters - I want Atticus Finch to be real with all my heart. He was, perhaps, the first grown-up man that I fell in love with. I loved him because he was kind, I loved him because he was a lawyer (like my mother!) and I loved him because he was so strong despite carrying the deep sadness of being a 50 year old widower with two young children. 

Thirdly, every time I read or watch it I want to see a different end for some of the characters. That's a funny thing to admit, but I suppose in some way I try and convince myself that it will be different this time. 

Lastly, I wanted to see Robert Sean Leonard. Partly because of "House" - mainly because I grew up watching Kenneth Branagh's version of the Shakespeare play 'Much Ado About Nothing' in which RSL plays Claudio. 

The theatre was full of school groups, socialite housewives and the retired which made for an interesting mix. I suppose, for the purposes of the day, I fit into the second category: officially playing around off my husband's hard work for the next few weeks. 

Next to me sat a father with his two girls aged around fourteen and ten (at a guess). I overheard him talking to them about how, in fiction and in life, father figures are kind of worshiped - or that there is an almost innate desire in all human beings to have a worshipful attitude towards a Father figure. His observation was so insightful that it made me smile. It goes perfectly along with my beliefs: that we do indeed have a Father who is our Heavenly Father and that before we existed on earth we knew Him and thus have the fragments left of our memory of Him, along with an "innate desire" to worship Our Father. 

It made me consider, again, why I love Atticus Finch so much. Every detail of him in the book and on the stage was perfect. Scout and Jem (his children) describe him as being unable to do anything because he is so old and they are shocked when they realise the truth; that he is completely able but he never uses his power and ability without kindness and without good reason. He is a fictional perfect father; a father who lets his conscience dictate his actions rather than the opinion of others and thus acts in a way that is perfectly good. He is a beacon of moral absolutes and yet when he discusses with his children the things they have done wrong, he is fair and patient. I love Atticus Finch because his qualities as represented in the book are echoes of Our Heavenly Father. 

There's only one other character in fiction who moves my emotions so much; and that is C.S. Lewis's Aslan

The play itself was extraordinary. Each character had a costume on in which they could play their role; and additional more modern clothing to cover it when they were, instead, acting as the narrators. They read large passages from the book itself in the description of the events that were taking place. I also loved the simplicity of the way that they managed to create the whole town on a very sparse stage using chalks to draw the street and the houses so the audience was never in any doubt of where they were. It was so effective and made the whole thing easy to follow without being patronising. 

The child cast I saw (there were three options for Scout, Jem and their friend Dill) were, in my mind, ideal. Izzy Lee (Scout) had the sweetest smile and the ideal look for the young, playful Scout who wants nothing more than to join in with Jem and Dills' games. The thing that really struck me about the book when I first read it was how perfectly the very intense story line which deals with so many 'adult' issues is dealt with through the eyes and voice of a child. It's both heartbreaking, insightful and exciting. It both glances off the issues that Scout doesn't understand and provides astute observations of the impact of events on the characters that do. 

I felt so fortunate to have the chance to go: take my money, please!!! 

Another thing that has made this week rush along was the fact that it was Becky's 21st Birthday this week. As the youngest in our family, Becky turning a significant age always seems to mark a new stage in life. In this stage, all of the 'children' of our family home are over 21 which seems totally bizarre. It feels like only yesterday that we were at the stage of us ALL being teenagers at the same time; 8 years ago. 
As evidence of true 'grown-up' status, Becky's Birthday consisted of a Derbyshire walk throughout which Becky didn't just not complain (she was the only one!) but actually enjoyed herself. 
We brought her right back to childhood with our Castle Cake. :) 

After all, what is life without a bit of magic and fiction?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!