Thursday 28 February 2013

So... How's Married Life Going?

What is the question that I get asked by anyone wishing to make small-talk with me at the moment?

"...How's Married Life Going?"

I started to think about this lately and to think about all of the married couples I know and whether I would ever ask them this question. I'm sure I do it to all the newly-weds like anyone else - but at some point it becomes impolite to ask this question. It's not stated or written down anywhere in a book of etiquette but somewhere along the way you stop being that newly married couple and people stop asking you how married life is going. When is that? When's the cut-off point? Is it after children are born? And why don't we ask? Are we afraid of the answer?

It's not like I'm anxious to get rid of the friendly, half-interested questions about how Ben & I are getting along BUT I'm starting to think it's entirely rhetorical. There's an answer that is almost dictated that you are supposed to give.

"How are you?" Ellicits, "Fine, Thanks."
"How's Married Life Going?" Is supposed to be met with, "Wonderful, Thanks!"

I know this because I've tried other things such as:
  • "It's ok. Some things are a struggle but we're working it all out." - This receives sympathetic glances and offers of help.
  • "Horrible. I hate my life right now." - People start to back away; they were unprepared for this and really, really don't want to get involved! (Just as an aside: I've only ever said this as a joke and to gage reactions. In my head, I laugh as they run.)
  • "It's so FANTASTIC. Ben's so great!" - People smile politely and then move faster than the previous. They're probably running to a bathroom to throw up.
Either way, no sensible way of answering this question seems to work. My non-sensible ways of answering the question have only the benefit of making me laugh inside. 


What's the solution?

That one ISN'T rhetorical!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!