Wednesday 26 December 2012

The Season

Christmas happened! I can't really believe it. We spent the day with my parents and came over to Ben's parents that evening so, as you can imagine, we were thoroughly spoilt.
 
I thought that this 'two Christmas' thing was going to be a tall order and might be a bit less relaxing than our single Christmases... but who would take relaxing over double the presents, double the food and double the family fun?

 I even had time to read a good 50 pages of my new book: 'Flight Behaviour' by Barbara Kingsolver.

On the present front we tried to give generously and we certainly were given to generously!

One gift that is a particular treasure for me is a folder that my mother put together which has all of my blog entries in it from when I first started writing: Christmas 2008! It's incredible to look back and realise that this blog has become like a diary to me.

I apologise for my ramblings and I realise that the things that I write might be of most benefit to me; but I'm glad that I can share my thoughts with you, as well. I can keep you in the loop with what's happening to our little family this way and hopefully sometimes make you laugh or think.

Life is most beautiful when shared.

I have a tradition of writing around about this time of year the things that that annum has taught me. This year I hardly know where to start!

This year has heralded some of the biggest events of my life; the first date with my now husband, his proposal and our wedding. It's been a huge year for my family with a sister getting married, another getting a job that has put her in the right place and this time in her life; and a brother who produced his first show this year.

I passed my first clinical year of medical school this year; including my first 'proper' OSCE.

Ben passed his probation at work this year.

It's been a remarkable year and I'm so grateful for it. I left 2011 with relief that it was over and I'm pleased to say that I was right to feel that 2012 was going to bring me greater happiness.

Funnily enough, the tough times in 2011 set me up for the wonderful moments that 2012 brought and I guess that's the way life is and why we can never really complain too much.

I'm an optimist, perhaps, but I guess it's all about perspective because from this side, looking back at the difficulties that are past, I wouldn't have a single thing altered as I know where it led. That gives me confidence that the future will bring the same and that every present difficulty will be something I look back on with gratitude.

I'm grateful for Christmas. Most of all, I'm grateful for the family I have always had and all of the family members I have gained this year. I feel like this year has brought me closer to who I am meant to be eternally and I don't know how I could possibly give it a higher commendation than to say that.

I hope you've had a lovely Christmas and if you're just relieved to get this year behind you; then I wish you (and have faith in) a wonderful new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!